Thursday, October 21, 2010

Will this dream actually happen?

It is not easy to get so excited and passionate about doing something only to get the door slammed in your face. It hurts, and it makes you wonder what on earth is going on? Is it me? Is there something wrong with me? I felt I had a really good interview with the Bhutan program. It seemed like the perfect place for me to teach for a year. I'm a risk taker, a good teacher...and wants to teach abroad so much. I've gotten so excited about doing this ever since the idea really flourished within me. I'm so ready to go somewhere, away from the disappointing and stale life I live and do what I love: Teach. I can home from an uninspiring sub job with kids who were loud and obnoxious. Inside I was longing for the opportunity to have my class, my own students again. The thought of my teach abroad opportunities gave me hope. Hope in a dark time when every door to teaching has been slammed in my face. I arrived home only to find an e-mail from the Bhutan program telling me thanks but no thanks. They said they didn't think I had the right qualifications for their program. I didn't get it. I don't have the qualifications? I'm a certified teacher with experience. I've traveled to rural places and stayed in some really poor conditions. None of it phased me..none of it. Yes, I don't like moths or spiders..but I've put up with them in the past. Is that a reason to tell someone no? I looked at some of the profile of teachers who are there now..and guess what? There are a few who had never traveled before..and have very limited teaching experience. So what are they looking for? I don't know. I'm clueless. I'm so disappointed and really don't know if this dream will happen. I'm tired. I'm so tired of always being overlooked; of getting the short end of the stick; of being told, you're good but not good enough..there is someone better. I'm tired of it.. I still have the Abu Dhabi program, and some in Mexico..but will they give me a chance? Or will they tell me thanks but no thanks? I'm a good teacher.. and any school or program would be lucky to have me. I just want the opportunity. That is all I ask. I need these schools and programs to have faith in me..to believe in me. I'm a person of faith and perhaps God doesn't want me to live in a Buddhist country that doesn't have Catholic churches for year. Still...it would have been the opportunity of a life time..and some other 20 teachers will have the adventure I longed for. It is not fair..and it hurts. If they would have accepted me I know I would have gone. Will this dream happen? Will it ever happen? I know I can't give up, but I'm sad and hope that someday the dream will come true. I just wish it would happen now.

No comments:

Post a Comment